Friday, December 30, 2011

Welcome

Here we stand, at the dawn of a new year and its that time again, time for the ever popular New Years Resolution.  I was sitting with my wife a few days ago talking about options for this year.  Loose the weight, always a popular favorite, give more, work less, ahhhhh, no, silly me, I have to come up with this great idea to buy as much as possible this year from the good old USA.  Maybe I have listened to too many Trump interviews about how nothing is made in this country anymore and how our government is seemingly oblivious to the fact that maybe the reason unemployment is so high is because so many jobs have been sent over seas.  Or maybe I have listened to Toby Keith sing about "Made in America" a few too many times on my way to and from work.  Or maybe I am just curious about what is actually still made in this country.  For whatever the reason, I have decided to go down this road just to see where it leads.

Now, before anyone calls me a hypocrite, I am sure there are much better supporters of the USA product movement than I.  I own a Toyota, but also a Ford. I am quite certain, like most of the rest of you, there is probably not a stitch of clothing in my closets that were actually made in this country. (Just wait till I get rolling on that soap box.) There is a Samsung TV in my living room, A Dell computer under my fingers, which may or may not have been made in this country, and a house full of decorations, nick knacks, dishes, etc. etc. etc. most of which were made in.....you guessed it..........China.

So, to be clear up front, what I hope to discover and share over the next 12 months is what options I discover through the year.  I may or may not always be able to stick to my resolution, we may find our selves in need of products that simply are not made in this country anymore, and I think more than anything, that is what I want to know.  Just how much of the normal, everyday american experience can be provided by those things that come right here from home.

So, if your interested, check back from time to time and see what I have learned.  You may be surprised, or you may learn something that you didn't already know.  I envision that I am in for a real shock as the next year of my life unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment